#HerToo? Connecticut College Student Accused of Lying about Rape Rejects Plea Deal

1000

The case involving Nikki Yovino is now heading to trial after the 19-year-old rejected the plea deal last week in Connecticut’s Bridgeport Superior Court.

BRIDGEPORT — A former Sacred Heart University student, accused of making up rape allegations against two football players to gain sympathy from a perspective boyfriend, rejected a plea agreement for the second time Wednesday.

“Rejecting any kind of deal is part of the trial process,” said Stamford lawyer Ryan O’Neill, who represents 19-year-old Nikki Yovino. “We’re eager to get this case—especially the whole story of what happened and didn’t happen at that party—in front of a jury. There’s much more to this case than what’s being reported.”

Superior Court Judge Maureen Dennis tentatively scheduled the case for trial before a jury on Feb. 21.

“Both young men are prepared to testify at trial and let the facts be known,” said Bridgeport lawyer Frank Riccio, who represents the now former football players.

Share Your Opinion