REDDING, Calif — An attempt to kill a large spider with a torch lighter went awry Sunday when the burning arachnid caused a fire at a California apartment, forcing the residents to move out.
Battalion Chief Rob Pitt said the fire caused moderate damage to the Redding, Calif., apartment when one of the residents tried to burn a spider to kill it.
Lyndsey Wisegarver said one of the men who lives in the apartment used a torch lighter to kill the spider, which was in an upstairs bedroom.
“It was a huge wolf spider,” said Wisegarver, who is a caregiver for one of the men living in the apartment
With the eight-legged creature ablaze it scurried onto a nearby mattress, catching it on fire, she said. They were able to extinguish the fire on the mattress, but it quickly spread to a flag collection and drapes in the bedroom, she said.
The residents tried to put the fire out with a garden hose, but were unsuccessful, fire officials said. The fire caused about $11,000 in damage, officials said.
Pitt said the fire spread to a closet in the bedroom, but firefighters were able to keep it from getting into the attic or neighboring apartments.
All the residents escaped from the building, and no one was injured, Pitt said.
The fire was extinguished within 20 minutes, Pitt said.
A torch lighter is similar to a regular cigarette lighter but is larger and the flame is under more pressure, Pitt said.
As for Wisegarver and the two men living in the apartment, they are going to have to find another place to live. The unit they were living in is uninhabitable, Pitt said.